Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunflower Cafe


Sunflower Cafe is located in the heart of Kings Highway in Brooklyn. Getting a table there during breakfast or lunch time can prove to be a difficult task however, I don't really understand why.
A friend of mine who is as excited about my blog as I am (okay, maybe not that excited), came in from New Jersey to rate Sunflower with me. We decided that Breakfast is a great meal to go for because most people are very particular about breakfast and any restaurant worth going to must be able to do it properly. Incidentally, my final exam in culinary school was to make an omelet - though it may sound simple, making eggs correctly is a fine art.
Sunflower's decor is lovely, there is bright colors and interesting wall murals and mainly it just feels like a warm and inviting place. We were seated by our waiter and given our menu (can someone please explain to me why their menus are written on pages that are 2 Ft long, how am i supposed to sit and read it comfortably?)While deciding what to order I was bombarded by the terrible acoustics of the place. Tables are cramped together making everyone speak over one another just to hear themselves talk. then to make the sittuation more unbareable the blender would go off and everyone would just yell louder. I now know that the woman who was eating salad to my right is in therapy for clinical depression!!!! When our waiter came to take our order my friend asked for the "Eggs Paris" described on the menu as Two Fried Eggs on a Croissant served with Garden Vegetables, Fresh Squeeze Orange Juice and Coffee or Tea. He then asked her how she wanted her eggs (umm it says how the eggs are made on the menu) to which she decided for the heck of it to say scrambled- I got upset at her because I think its really hard to mess up scrambled eggs and therefore it wouldn't be a fair rating. Boy was I wrong! I ordered the capriccio delicacy which is supposed to be eggs any way you like them served over a grilled cheese baguette served with Garden Vegetables, Fresh Squeeze Orange Juice and Coffee or Tea.I specifically asked for my eggs made "over easy: firstly, because this is the way I like them and secondly because its a more difficult dish to make (you have to flip the eggs without breaking the yolk). our eggs arrived and I was tempted to send mine back, one of the yolks were missing,there was a yellow colored valley where the yolk used to be but somehow between shell and plate it got lost. the other egg was not cracked so at least I had one.The eggs were highly under seasoned (imagine no seasoning) the grilled cheese was just a piece of bread with some melted processed American cheese on it. My friend, however, fared much worse than I. Her Croissant that was advertised as being served under the eggs arrived a good 10 minutes ahead of them, cold and on a separate plate (how is that eggs on a croissant?) when her eggs actually arrived they looked like they had been cooking for the better half of an hour. they were dry, tasteless and lacking seasoning. overall I think my toddlers can make better scrambled eggs. The positives are that their breakfasts are fairly cheap, the fresh squeezed orange juice was incredibly refreshing and their vegetables were extermely fresh,they have delicious freshly made salad dressings.So as long as no one in this restaurant has to go near a stove to make your dish you'll be safe.

Rating: 1 1/2 Stars!

2 comments:

  1. Cheap is still a waste of money if the food is bad.

    I'm kind of surprised you both accepted the substandard food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well the point was to eat what they served and rate it, any other time i would have sent it back.

    ReplyDelete